Ornamental Metal Gate Maintenance Ideas to Keep in Mind11/04/2013 Back To Blog
Among the different materials used in constructing residential gate openers and fences today, is iron and steel. Iron is used for creating different styles, from classic wrought-iron ornamental gates to futuristic automate metal gates with smooth and polished edges, which can be operated to open and close using a remote control gate clicker. Here are a number of useful ornamental metal gate maintenance ideas to keep in mind.
What Are The Common Problems Associated With Metal Gates?
If you have a metal ornamental gate at home today, perhaps the biggest challenge you are facing would be rust. When its protective paint coating starts to chip and fall off, these small chips usually expose the metal to the elements, like water, wind and pollution. When this happens, the metal will become extremely vulnerable to rust. Thus, regular iron gate repair should be conducted whenever required.
How to Clean Metal Gates
For metal driveway gate repair, you will need to first a bucket or pail of warm water, and a scrub or brush for removing soil, dust and other dirt from its surface. After rinsing the gate, allow for it to dry for a few hours.
• Next, scrub the wall's external surfaces with an applicable brush and concentrate on areas where rust has already embedded, and bored small holes. Make sure you remove all visible rust signs.
• Next, using a file (made from metal) smoothly file the remaining rusty areas, as well as use medium-grit sandpaper for sanding and scraping off any particles using an applicable cloth on the driveway gate.
• You could also opt to spray the metal body with a thin coating of applicable rust-removing chemical or acid, as the solution will eliminate any hidden rust from the metal surface. Leave the acid overnight, and allow it to fully work in removing rust.
• The next day, scrub the ornamental metal gate with a durable steel brush, to effectively remove the remaining iron phosphate. You could also refer to the manufacturer's manual or directions, when combining applicable chemical cleaning compounds, or you could also choose a compound that has epoxy resin. And when applying this compound,. In addition, gates Sherman Oaks professionals note that you should use a cement filler or knife, for filling all the crevices and crack on the gate's surface, and then let the solution dry overnight.
• Lastly, you could also place a small coat of metal-based primer, using a paint brush, and allow the primer to dry for a few hours. Next, paint the surface with an oil-based metal paint, and paint from the bottom upward, using small, quick strokes.